Campus Engineer - OFMD
Washington University in St. Louis - St. Louis, MO
Position Summary The Washington University School of Medicine Operations & Facilities Management Department provides a range of services for the medical campus in a customer-focused, efficient, and sustainable manner. Operations & Facilities Management maintains 61 university buildings and provides operational, planning, and construction services to over 8.3 million gross square feet of space. We will open three new facilities between 2023 and 2025 with over 1.5M BGSF. In addition, the School of Medicine continues expanding its reach on and off campus in teaching, clinical care, and research. Our team plays a vital and important role in delivering care, research, and services.
The Campus Engineer is responsible for planning and managing the energy, utilities, critical facilities, and infrastructure.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
• Directs/oversees a staff of engineers and support staff responsible for all facets of planning the critical facilities commissioning, energy management program, infrastructure planning and management and oversight of the Euclid Power Plant for the School of Medicine.
• Oversees and manages the planning and execution of commissioning, retro-commissioning, preventative maintenance, and capital renewal of specialized facilities, including BTCF and ABSL/BSL3 labs, vivarium, and on-campus ambulatory spaces and genome sequencing.
• Directs/oversees the planning and management of civil/structural engineering projects, including bridges, streets, tunnels, plazas, sidewalks, parking lots, garages, and building structures on the WUSM campus focusing on sustainability, quality, budget, and schedule.Â
• Provides support, oversight, and policy direction for the utility infrastructure planning of the medical school campus. Â Acts as key contact and subject matter expert for the local utility providers related to the medical campus's local utility infrastructure. Â The Campus Engineer will be responsible for the short and long-term utility and civil/structural infrastructure, planning, management, and strategic vision for the School of Medicine, including capital planning for all utilities, energy management systems, building envelope, civil and building infrastructure projects, capital renewal, and preventive maintenance planning of these systems.
• Assists the Director of Capital Projects with design review of all renovations and new construction and provides support, oversight, and policy direction of MEPFP design standards development and upkeep and MEPFP document management.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Exceptional integrity, intelligence, and maturity. Well-rounded in a complex organizational environment and be comfortable operating in a university or academic medical center setting.
• A proven track record of creative and energetic problem-solving and demonstrated ability to identify and implement innovative approaches to facility management issues/initiatives.
• A strong leader, team-oriented, comfortable making difficult decisions, following through to completion, and applying sound fiscal policy and accountability to the department.
• Effective work in both individual and team environments.
• Having knowledge of industry-standard computer software such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, BAS or similar energy management systems, AutoCAD, and Estimating/Project Management type software such as PMWeb.
• Makes continuous improvement a priority, has a solid grasp of basic and advanced project management principles, along with having experience in successfully applying these principles.
• Understands the business need for each project and makes on-going decisions based on what's best for the organization, even if it means challenging stakeholders on critical success factors.
• Well-versed in the full spectrum of project management and MEPFP facilities planning.
• Strong desire for/thrive on continuous professional betterment and development and continuous improvement of project delivery services.
• Undergraduate degree in mechanical or electrical engineering and a master's degree in business administration, and 20 years of experience in higher education facilities management.
• Experience in infrastructure and utilities planning, and critical facilities (ABSL3, BSL3, Clean Rooms, etc.).
• Proven track record of long-range planning in facilities and utilities, sustainability and energy management.
• Experience in developing and utilizing performance indicators for process assessments and improvement.
• Ability to identify and analyze ineffective complex processes and develop recommendations to create streamlined logical processes; an influential team leader, team-oriented, with outstanding interpersonal skills, and excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Experience collaborating with multiple institutions and coming to working conclusions.
• IFMA Facilities Management Professional (FMP).
• Knowledge of City of St. Louis building, energy and zoning codes.
• Bachelors degree in mechanical or electrical engineering with ten years of experience in higher education facilities, plant management, or environment with similar complexities.
• Professional Engineering license.
Salary Range Base pay is commensurate with experience.
The salary range reflects base salaries paid for positions in a given job grade across the University. Individual rates within the range will be determined by factors including one's qualifications and performance, equity with others in the department, market rates for positions within the same grade and department budget.
If you are unable to use our online application system and would like an accommodation, please email Â CandidateQuestions@wustl.edu Â or call the dedicated accommodation inquiry number at 314-935-1149 and leave a voicemail with the nature of your request.
Pre-Employment Screening All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. The screenings will include criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, an employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
Benefits Statement Washington University in St. Louis is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to our employees. Benefits eligibility is subject to employment status, full-time equivalent (FTE) workload, and weekly standard hours. Please visit our website at https://hr.wustl.edu/benefits/ to view a summary of benefits.
EEO/AA Statement Washington University in St. Louis is committed to the principles and practices of equal employment opportunity and especially encourages applications by those from underrepresented groups. It is the Universityâ™s policy to provide equal opportunity and access to persons in all job titles without regard to race, ethnicity, color, national origin, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information.
Diversity Statement Washington University is dedicated to building a diverse community of individuals who are committed to contributing to an inclusive environment â“ fostering respect for all and welcoming individuals from diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. Individuals with a commitment to these values are encouraged to apply.
Applicant Instructions When you are ready to apply, creating an account only takes a minute. Your account creates a candidate home page which we will use to communicate with you and allows you to apply for jobs and view your application statuses. The first page of the application offers two âœQuick Applyâ options. Quick Apply allows you to either use a previous application or create a new application using a resume to populate the work experience and education sections of your job application. If using a resume to populate your application, check to ensure the application fields populated accurately. You may skip the âœQuick Applyâ page by clicking âœNextâ at the bottom of the page. Documents may be uploaded in the My Experience section of the application. You also have the option to apply with a LinkedIn feature, which allows you to apply by using your LinkedIn profile to populate some of the job application fields